Monday, November 13, 2006

Super Star Nation



I wonder why our nation is so obsessed with movie stars and stardom itself. It is at the top of our news heap. Take for example our very own Professor Lilly Buchwitz falling prey to CNN’s “Breaking News” containing Johnny Cash’s death and probably leaving out the fact that there may be a cure for all of the world’s diseases because they found Cash’s death a tad more important. And if she hasn’t unsubscribed yet, I bet that she is being attacked with a flood of CNN’s “Breaking News” about Britney Spears’ recent divorce. I don’t think that is news but I'm pretty sure that's top news to a lot of news stations.

I blame it on reality TV. Reality TV has made it possible for a no name anybody to rise to the ranks of C and D list celebrity stardom like Tera Reid, and Kathy Gifford. It gives any Joe Shmoes hope that one day they get their 15 minutes. There has been a rapid rise of reality television producing these 15 minute wonders.

Shows like "American Idol" create these anomalies of celebrities. “American Idol" is a show where contestants from all over this country compete to get signed up for a singing contract. I can’t forget William Hung. He got his own album even though he sucked. But the studio wanted to milk him because he was getting press time.

Listen and watch “She Bangs”. It is god-darn awful.




Some people worship celebrities and some people hope to be just like them. And I really mean it literally. Take for example, “I Want a Famous Face,” which aired on MTV where people get plastic surgery hoping to look like superstar counter-parts. MTV does not pay for the plastic surgery, or give them any form of payment. That means these people do it on their on will without anyone’s intervention. I don’t think obsessive describe these people; I think “neurotically deranged” fits them more.

Jennifer Lopez wannabe went from a transgender..



..to J Lo.



Brad Pitt wannabes went from dorky looking twins..



..to homosexual looking guys.



Pamela Anderson wannabe went from pretty lady to transgender looking lady.



Oh well, I'm sure plastic surgeons probably tried their best.

If you see me on reality, I’ve probably fallen fatality to the stardom bug bite.

No comments: