Monday, November 06, 2006

Ignorance was Bliss


I live in the American bubble. Sure I know that there are other countries around us but really, are they that important? I believe that the USA is the sun and the other countries just revolve around us, comparatively speaking. That may sound conceited but I’m probably not the only one to feel that way. And that is probably why the rest of the world pretty much hates the United States.

Lilly told us to look at another country’s website for our assignment and I thought, “What? Why?” All the websites I need is in the American internet realm. But a good student must do what is assigned to them so I finally decided on BBC.The BBC is the largest British Broadcasting Corporation that produces programs and informative information through radio, television, and the internet. I took a look at their website and I saw how it can be of importance. It had news from every important country like America, Africa, Asia, the Middle East and more. I was pretty impressed. And I realized that I should probably start subscribe to them because my bubble is starting to suffocate me. There’s actually a world out of the U.S. and it has important news that one should read about.

I know the news that is written by Americans are biased and we aren’t getting all the information and especially for the political news. So thanks to opening us up to an internet websites world beyond the American ones, I can be a lot less ignorant and a little less arrogant. Just a little since I’m still American.

No comments: