Tuesday, October 24, 2006

May I Have Another (iPOD)



I have a love-hate relationship with the iPod gadget. I try to summon every fiber to suppress my rage against iPods. The iPOD is a portable media player and it has become a national sensation where every cool kid on campus must have one. So of course I bought three over the course of three years. What can I say? I ‘m a sucker when it comes to peer pressure. I’m probably one of those people who would be pushing and shoving my way to the front to jump off that bridge that everybody’s moms keeps ranting about.

One of the reasons for my pure undiluted hatred towards the iPOD are that they keep coming out with newer, smaller, sleeker versions. And it’s in your face, rubbing it in that you have an older version iPOD. Like when I carry around my 30gig 6th generation wheel iPOD, every newer version taunts my old bulky iPOD. Some can even say that they are shamed into buying the newer versions.

I’m out of $600 and have 2 broken 1 year old iPODs to show for it and that’s not the other reason why I despise the iPOD. When I brought them into the Apple store to get them fixed, it had surpassed their one year warranty. And when I asked if there’s anything they can do, the workers basically expressed that I was sh*t out of luck. Man, was I peeved.

My love for the iPOD is really a forced one because I just wouldn’t feel right shelling out for impersonators like the Zen Creative. I just can’t bring myself to buy it. I just can’t.

Since then, I have replaced my previous iPOD with a 1 gig Nano. I know, I‘m such a slave to the marketing world.

1 comment:

Amir said...

Impersonators?! Holy crap, it's amazing what kind of ideas have been propagated by Apple. First of all, please don't take any of this personally. It might sound like I'm attacking you, but I'm not; it is my frustration with Apple. First of all, the Creative Zen (Creative being the company, Zen being the name of thier mp3 players) came out long before the iPod came out. Second of all, Creative had been making mp3 players long before Apple decided to get into the game. Third, the reason that people seem to think that Apple was the first to come out with mp3 players is because they are the ones that popularized it. They had incredible advertisements despite having a product that is on an equal level of other mp3 players. Finally, I think a person only become a slave to the marketing world if they choose to. I mean, you could go out and get a Creative mp3 player, which can do pretty much all the things an iPod can do, and probably will last longer. Okay, sorry for that exceedingly long rant. But thank you for a good subject for my next blog.