Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Bleeding Hearts

My 23 year-old male friend is “Emo”. He likes to describe his recent breakup in emo poetry, “She ripped out my bloody heart and crushed it beneath her pointy-toed stilettos. The hole continues to bleed.” You would think this is out of some dark movie but it’s not. My friend is riding on the “Emo” train. People who described themselves as emo are people who are in despair and want to sound like they’re wallowing at the bottom of some ditch somewhere. It seems like this trend has caught onto teens to people in their early 20’s.

Emo is short for “emotional hardcore” which was to describe bands that got really emotional during their concerts. This kind of music has reached a large mass of followers. I remember when Emo music was for the non-conformist, the weirdos who wore all black. Now Emo music has caused a phenomenon, spawning a trend associating the music with fashion. People who are into the Emo trend, can be identify by their listening to Emo music,

sounding Emo (like my friend), or dressing Emo like.

Emo music has reached a mass audience. It’s trendy to be Emo. You always know it’s trendy when you pass a highschool and everybody and their mother looks like this:





P.S. I hope I don't offend anyone. It's just written with my opinions.

1 comment:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

It's your blog. Don't ever be afraid to write your opinions.

I found this interesting because I never knew where the term Emo came from.