Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Favorite Magazine

I know I’m a girl but I love reading Maxim. Maxim is a men’s magazine. The contents, of course, are plastered with scantily dressed women. But looking beyond the hoochies that are slapped on nearly every page lays very humorous articles. I came across it one day in the restroom my brother and I share. I guess the magazine was his “reading material” while he does his business. Anyway, I shouldn’t get too personal. I was bored so I read a few articles and it made me crack up. I never read a magazine that was so funny. There also is an online version but they mostly have pictures of women then there are articles so I don't read it online.

The magazine covers just about everything that can be interesting. The article that stood out the most this month was, “The Wild, Wild East.” They write about Macau, a gambling world where you can be treated like king with enough cash. There articles also cover things that don’t seem to fall into the legal realm. There was an article where the writers went to Cuba and smuggled in some energy drink that was laden with cocaine. There are articles that are curious and odd like making homemade alcohol in your toilet stall while you are in prison, or how to hustle someone in pool. But all these articles were written with humor and interesting facts and that is why I read it.

I think the target age is 20’s into 40s. And I think even though it reaches a big audience, their main target is still men. And for their ads, they have clothing ads for Gucci to unknown, cheaper brands. The have ads for beer and soup to tech gadgets. There isn’t an ad that they wouldn’t take, it seems.

I guess because of the varying range of things they write, it can interest men who wants a laugh while learning some facts while they gawk at pretty girls. Have you every listen to men talk? They spew out all kinds of information like they were a PBS channel.

No comments: