Wednesday, September 27, 2006

What the heck is Skype?!


When I read Lily’s post about Skype, I could care less. But as I pounded my head on the keyboard thinking what I should write for my post, I thought, “Hey, what is up with that Skype thingy?” So I went to Technorati and typed in “Skype” and “San Jose State” but I didn’t get anything informative. It had info on why it should be banned, and all that jazz. But what were they banning? So I went to the next best thing, in my opinion, to find out what, in the name of all that is holy, is Skype at Wikipedia.

“The Skype communications system is notable for its broad range of features, including free voice and video conferencing, and its ability to use peer to peer (decentralized) technology to overcome common firewall and NAT problems.” (FOR FREE!)

Then I did some research into the company. Skype can be used to talk to anyone, anywhere if they had the internet program and it’s all for free! I think there are many international students that are probably using this. The schools are already charging international students at a price of a liver. Yes folks, no longer an arm and a leg but a liver! While us regular students do get charged an arm and a leg. And at the rate teachers get paid, don't get me started. So let the people have their free phone calls.

Ah, the plot thickens. It once again has to do with free stuff. Another war, perhaps, against phone companies vs. little old grannies making a free call to their grandchildren on the other side of the country? Maybe State is trying to remove itself from something that sounds illegal before anything blows up in their face. So San Jose State is trying to ban Skype on grounds that it may bring in people from the outside and mess with the school’s computer network. San Jose State users are not accepting this explanation and are not going down without a fight. Wouldn’t that be a sight? Students and teachers banded together for a common cause; free international phone calls.

While cruising Technorati for more info, I read a posting that Skype will no longer be banned…For now. Dun. Dunn. DUNNN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A big part of the reason why the university changed its mind about banning Skype is because of the publicity in the blogosphere.